So... I signed Brooklyn up for soccer last month and every day since I heard this from her, "Mom... (sob, sob, whine, whine) I don't want to play soccer! I don't know how to play and it won't be fun." I told her that since she's never played before, she can't tell me that it's not fun. After arguing about it for a week, I finally told her this... "Brooklyn, you have to play at least 2 games before you tell me you don't like it... you said the same thing about riding a bike with no training wheels or learning to roller skate. You didn't want to do those either because you didn't know how, and now you love them." She finally agreed and on Wednesday we were off to her first game.
At first, she was nervous, but the coaches/refs were so nice and friendly. They had her start kicking the ball while we waited for the rest of the teammates to show. That was perfect for Brooklyn because she got to practice kicking with me and Kason and get some of her nerves out. When it was time to start, they had the kids practice dribbling the ball to their teammates for about 20 minutes. She loved that and it helped her feel more comfortable. By the time the game started... she was ready. She was bouncing around the field and never once lost the smile on her face. She didn't get to kick the ball that often because the other team was all bigger and had double the players, they "handled" the ball most of the game. She didn't care though and we didn't care either because it was about her learning something new and having fun! And she did!! After the game she said, "Mom I got to kick the ball 4 times and I am so proud of myself!" I told her how proud I was of her too... she is amazing. She just played and had fun...!
Driving home I asked her if she still wanted to quit and she said, "Nope mom, I love soccer and I am so proud of myself!" Awesome.
(Thanks to Gavin and Lainee for lending us their soccer stuff... she looked like a pro out there!)
I loved this video. It showed how happy she was bouncing around the field. :) And don't mind all my cheering and yelling... :)


2 comments:
Good Job Brooklyn!! So glad she loved it! Fun!
I'm glad she had such a good time!! The video was so cute. It's fun to watch them in action! Way to go Brooklyn!
Post a Comment