Sunday, February 5, 2012

Brooklyn's 8th Birthday

I can't believe my baby girl is already 8 years old! It's amazing how fast time flies. For Brooklyn's birthday party theme this year, we decided to go with Rainbow... in honor of the baptism song about rainbows. :) I really liked the rainbow theme and decided to center everything around it. We didn't necessarily have rainbows everywhere, just bright colors. Since her birthday was also on Superbowl Sunday, we decided to have a combined birthday/superbowl party. That way the guys could still watch the game, and the kids could play some party games.

The first game we played was balloon darts. This by far was my favorite game. Each kid got to pop 2 balloons. Whichever color balloon they popped, they got to go pick out a prize from that color prize bag. I had all the colors of the rainbow in the prize bags and even the treats inside the bag matched that color. :) The purple bag had purple skittles, the blue bag had blue $5 Target giftcards, the green bag and dollar bills, the yellow bag had yellow bubbles, the orange bag had a orange squishy toy, the red bag had red licorice and the pink bag had bubble tape. :) Brooklyn went first and popped a pink balloon... then on her next turn, popped another pink balloon. :) LOL. I think all the kids had fun playing this game.
The next game was a team relay. Each team member had different tasks to complete before coming back to the starting purple balloon and making a human pyramid. :) I had different colored tasks at colored balloons around the yard. :) The purple balloon was the start/end. The red balloon station had a bin of red blocks. You had to build a tower as tall as a yard stick. The green balloon station had a green jar with green M&M's and a green straw. You had to suck each M&M up with the straw and drop it in the jar. The yellow balloon station had an apron. You had to keep the yellow balloon in the air while you put on the apron and tied it. The blue balloon station was for the little kids. They had to hurry and climb up the playhouse and go down the blue slide. :) The pink balloon station had a bubble gum. They had to chew it and blow a bubble. The orange balloon station had an orange. You had to put it in your knees and run to the orange balloon and back without dropping it. :)
I think the funnest part for me was watching the kids build the human pyramids. :) It was so cute to see them pile on each other and giggle. :)

The last game we did was a treasure hunt. I hid the 7 rainbow colored easter eggs in the house and around the yard. At the end of the hunt they found a basket full of treats at the end of a crepe paper rainbow on the side of the house. :) Brooklyn said this game was one of her favorites because she likes to figure out the clues. :)

When all the games were done, we came inside and ate dinner. Then we had cake and ice cream. I had spent all day the day before making Brooklyn's rainbow cake. I made 6 colored layers of sheet cake and put them all together for one big cake. :) It was an all day event. :)
I was really pleased with how it turned out though. :) And it tasted really good too! I don't know if I'll be lining up to make it again because it took so much time, but it was worth it just this one time! :)

After cake and ice cream, we did presents and the usual party stuff. We are so grateful/thankful to our family for all the love and support we get on the kids' birthdays! :)

On the Tuesday after Brooklyn's birthday, she was lucky enough to get a friends party at Antigravity. She had so much fun. I tell you, it was crazy having that many girls in my car at one time. :) LOL.
The party was a hit and everyone had a great time. Thanks to Lainee for sharing the expenses and having Preston's party there with us. :) That was perfect!
Look at this fun group of girls! Brooklyn is so lucky to have so many friends! Thanks to them for coming to her party! :)

1 comment:

Clenece said...

Your kids are so dang cute!! Glad to see you guys are doing well! Tell Bobby I say hello!