I've decided that no matter how hard I try, my kids and I are all technology lovers! There is just no denying it!! I've decided just to embrace it; accept the fact that my 2 year old and 5 year old want an ipod and that my 7 year old already has one. :) We like our tech devices... what can I say?
Now, you may be saying to yourself that a 5 year old should never had an ipod, well, I only partially agree. Kason got a DSi from Santa at Christmas time, but lets face it... it can't do near what an iPod can. I mean, what kid doesn't want to watch movies, shoot video, take pictures, listen to music and play games all on one device? The DSi can play games and take pictures... but that is pretty much the extent. (And, once Brooklyn got her iPod for her birthday, the DS has hardly been touched. The kids are constantly arguing over who gets to play it and if Kason can have a turn or not.)
I know many, many people who are getting (or have gotten) their kids a DS at the age of 3. It's true though, why get a Leapster, when you can play the educational games on the DSi and it can grow with the child? So I ask you, why get the DSi? There are just as many educational apps on the iPod (if not more) than the Leapster and the DS combined. Kason loves using the school apps and they have shown him how to solve puzzles and figure things out.
There is a downside, of course... it's easy to spend a lot of time with your face in front of a device. You really have to make sure the time spent on the devices is limited... but this is true with any "gaming" toy. There really isn't a difference in what you would do to limit time on the Nintendo and what you do to limit time spent on an iPod.
So, I bet your wondering why I have just {now} decided to embrace this truth. Well, I went to Costco today to pick up some Shampoo and saw the new DS-3D or whatever you call it (the newest DS on the market). It had a pretty sticker price of $259!! Wow... Really? And it's considered "ok" for a 5 year old to have that device? K... I'll take the iPod. :) Besides that, a single DSi game is $35... an iPod game... FREE or maybe $1.99 at most.
So, Santa has done some (secret) re-arranging and we are embracing our {now acknowledged} love of technology! :)
(if you want the details of how Santa worked his magic, you'll have to ask me. LOL :)
I'll just leave it at... "he's going to be so excited." :)

3 comments:
Oh I want to know! I totally agree with you! Taryne learned her shapes from my Ipod! You have some great points in this post! You will have to share Santa's secrets with me! :)
Well, because the DSi has hardly been touched... Kason "can't find it". :) Truth is, Santa has returned it to Costco. The money we got back has bought the iPod for his birthday. (We have a friend that works at Target so we used their discount and Target offered $20 off right now). Before we realized we wanted to do the iPod, we had already bought him his birthday present (2 DSi games... $70 total). It was an attempt to get him to like playing his DS again and have him and Brooklyn stop fighting over her iPod. So, I returned the 2 games and have actually saved money on his birthday gift. I know he will love it and he won't even ask me where his DS went... he will accept that it got "lost" and play his iPod... and the fighting will finally stop! And I'm loving the free games I've already loaded on it for him... Way better than than $35 a pop! :)
It's sad but TRUE! I got my ipod touch when my oldest was just under 2 and he knew more about it than I did within a day! So, once I got an iphone, I just got a heavy duty case for it and gave it to him. He's so good with it and going strong. It's not really hard to limit his time on it either because he's still young enough that he distracts REALLY easily. ;)
Post a Comment