Friday, October 7, 2011

Elk Hunt


The Elk Hunt was interesting this year... Because the guys drew out for the rifle tag, the hunt was later in the year, in other words... cold! We heard there was snow on the ground before we left, but I wasn't really prepared for what was coming.

When we arrived in camp, it was snowing. There was a lot of snow on the ground already too. It was hard to dig the trailer tires down to get it level so we decided to just deal with it being unlevel. (Little did we know that would be a mistake because the next day the door wouldn't shut. We had to lock the deadbolt close the door. It was such a pain with kids going in and out!) I heated up stew for dinner the first night, then decided it was time to stoke up the heater.... :( no luck. I was worried it wouldn't light once we got on the mountain and it didn't. :( We had to run the generator all night with a space heater. I knew I was in for a fantastic trip. :)

The next morning, it snowed ALL DAY long. I was glad we brought the snow clothes for the kids. I let them go out only when they were decked out in snow clothes. Since it was still snowing, they didn't stay out there long. We spent a lot of time in the trailers watching movies, drawing on the glow boards and playing the ipods. :)

Bob hunted on the horses since he was still healing from the marathon the weekend before. He said it was cool to hunt on the horses when the snow was so high. When he got back he took Brooklyn for a ride. She liked riding Dolly. :)

We went home on Sunday so Bob could get back to his new job without missing too much work.
The next weekend had much better weather! :)

The snow was gone!! Thank goodness! :) The kids finally got to go outside without snow clothes! :) When we got to camp, nobody else was there so we all went for a wheeler ride together as a family. (Bob was road hunting too. ;) It was really fun to go as a family and spend time together in the mountains.

The next morning the kids were out to play while the girls (me, Joyce, Steph, and Kalie) played Rook. Aiden got stung by a bee. He wasn't a happy camper after that. The kids were in and out of the trailer all day. Poor Kason, he had been waiting for the snow to melt so he could ride his wheeler... but when the snow finally melted... his battery was dead. :( I hooked up the trickle charger to it so Kason and Weston kept going and checking the battery. :)

Saturday was a long day for the hunters. They left early in the morning and didn't get back until after dark. They were bringing in a lot of elk and they were hiking their butts off! :)

All in all it was a good trip. I wish the weather the first weekend would have been like the weather the second weekend, but what do you do? :)

1 comment:

The Staheli's said...

Awesome snow pictures. I mean...it sucks that there was snow, but at least it was fun for the kids. :) Glad you at least got one good-weather weekend. :D